Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Saturday Morning Cartoon Roundup, Part 1 - Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors



Here in The middleCoast's Wicker Park offices we've had several discussions lamenting the passing of the once great Saturday Morning Cartoons. When I was a kid in the mid-80s, Saturday morning's were super-special for one reason, and one reason alone. They had the BEST cartoons on. However, in the last 10 years if you woke up early on Saturday, or stumbled in after a very late Friday night and decided to check out what's new in cartoons - you've probaby been as disappointed as we have. Instead of greats like The Transformers, GI Joes, or Shirt Tales, you get crappy live action pre-teen dramas about skate shops and camp counselors (not like the awesome Salute Your Shorts).

Perhaps my favorite cartoon from the era was the very short lived Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors. The show has a mildly confusing plot line, something about a son fighting a villain and trying to save his dad - from said villain. I most likely dug the show because the main character's was named Jayce. Due to the shows influence, I actually went by the name Jayce for the entirity of my 2nd grade. To this day my sister still calls me Jayce, and I choose to believe this is the reason why. Upon reflection the show's undertones are mildly disturbing. The bad guys turn into plants, and try to infest the universe with their plant spores. The good guys want to destroy all these plants with their machines, hence the Wheeled Warriors. Now it almost feels like some subversive anti-environment, pro-industry piece of propaganda.

Regardless, how about that opening song?! It used to get me SO riled up in my footie pajamas. The guy singing it just wails........ THE WHEELED WARRIORS!!!!!

2 comments:

JasonToo said...

AWESOME! Was that Steve Perry? That song rocks and I totally want to watch an episode.

OtherJason said...

I choose to believe that the recording sessions for this song looked something like that scene in Boogie Nights were Dirk Diggler and Reed Rothchild are recording "The Touch." Incidently, that is a real song, and appeared in Transformers: The Movie by the LEGENDARY Stan Bush. Check the link below for the footage. And yes people, today we are going FULL CIRCLE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s7z9AgjEuA